'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Love




I once moved into a new home.  The previous owners had had a ten year old nephew staying with them.  I heard he had 'gone off the rails' in some unspecified way.  When I opened up the garage, a large board nailed to the far end revealed itself.  On it were chalked in a childish hand the words "TO LOVE AND BE LOVED."  I was struck to the spot, and overcome by a wave of huge sadness to think what kind of experiences a child of ten could have had that would plummet him to such depths of despair and profundity.

That was thirty years ago.  In the interim, I have lived a bit of life, and learnt a few things.  
And I've found out it's true.  They are the two essential requirements and motivators of our lives:  
The need to have someone to love; and to be loved back.  

To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
- David Viscott How to Live with Another person.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Thank you for your comments on my blog. I wanted to type about my grand adventure. I gave friends my blog site, but I am not sure anyone reads any of it. I greatly appreciate your comments. I have read some of your blog. From what little I have read I believe you are a wonderful woman with riches beyond measure in her life. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

    ReplyDelete