'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 19 April 2009

Wed Aug 31. To Auckland

At ten past ten today we left home.  Our holiday has really begun!  A great feeling.  We arrived in Auckland and were dropped off in a park where I felt the need to relax for a few hours - I actually slept on the grass for a bit, I was so tired from last-minute packing and organising things.  On the map it looked like it should be a nice park as it was bounded by water, but it turned out to be a rather ugly piece of flat sports ground with a few dried-up conifer trees and lots of rubbish.

We walked along the road conspicuous with our packs on and  I hoped no-one would ask us what country we were from as I felt like an impostor.  I suggested to N that we put on fake accents and we experimented with a few as we walked. My pack rapidly became very heavy and I began to feel very tired and hot and wondered why I had packed so much clothing!  I am going to be carrying this around for two and a half months so I'd better get rid of some or get used to it!  
We finally arrived at our friend's house and this evening were treated to a lovely chicken and salad meal of:
Mixed mesclun salad greens tossed with thinly sliced yellow and orange sweet peppers, baby tomatoes and pieces of avocado plus a cooked and cooled mixture of sliced red onions, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.  This was topped with sliced hot chicken breast quickly stir-fried and drizzled with a garlic and oil olio and garnished with a whole strawberry (with its green top still on) sliced almost all the way through and fanned out.  As Zoe would say: "Yum, malicious!" 

2 comments:

  1. I love 'yum malicious'!

    I'm ever so excited to be following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debby, you are so enthusiastic, I would post it for you alone. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.