'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Seat-mate



Once, about four years ago on a flight to the States, I sat next to a woman with whom I have corresponded ever since.  She was in New Zealand visiting a grand-daughter and every time she writes she asks me when I am coming over stay with her.  Here are a few extracts from her last letter.  

"... No Christmas note from me last year because I was off on a Cultural Exchange to China. What a different world:  too much to absorb.  Even got to walk awhile on the Great Wall, but nearly froze there with a long down coat plus many layers.  Cranes everywhere, (half the world's are in Shanghai); construction is mind-boggling. Go soon if you want to see traditional China ....
... I was going to a church meeting Feb. 6 when I fell off a curb trying to evade a man who'd followed me more than 2 blocks ... Broke the same knee cap as 2 years ago, but also gashed my forehead, broke an elbow, a finger and some ribs.  Luckily I'd bought the usual pair of season tickets for 5 theatres.  For those free tickets people offered to wrestle with my wheelchair ... so I got to see a performance of every production that three months.  Amazing theatre we get here."

Oh, and she has just bought a new car.  

She is 90 years old this year.  


5 comments:

  1. what a wonderful photo and history too.

    God bless your friend... the 90 years old Lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I hope to be just like her when I'm 90.

    I'm on the lookout for P & P too btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that story - 90, independent and living life to the full - now that is a goal to work towards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I hope I'm like that when I'm ninety! Heck, I hope I even make it to ninety!

    Did she recover from that fall OK?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes jay, she had 3 months mending and 3 weeks in rehab, and by July was in Wisconsin, October was 'north' in snow, and December was in Arizona ...

    ReplyDelete