'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 5 September 2008

Spring 1





The magnolia stellata is looking lovely, with its petal snow around on the bright spring-green grass.  And the buds of the wisteria are elongating.  I expect we'll see the first purple flowers within the week.  When the kids were little we used to have a little competition about now -  each tied a piece of coloured cotton around the bud we guessed would be the first to flower.

We haven't had a fire for a week, and last Friday was daffodils-for-cancer day, so it looks like spring is definitely here.  

So I thought I'd better get the autumn leaves swept up today.
 
(This time next year Ann, you and I will be sitting there in the late afternoon sunshine enjoying a glass of something-or-other won't we?  I can hardly wait!)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5.9.08

    Ah, that's pretty! I enjoyed my year in New Zealand, especially the flowers blooming pretty much all year. The seasons being the wrong way round was amazing and fascinating!

    I have a magnolia ('Susan') and a wisteria. We were very lucky this year because we got two full flushes of flowers on the wisteria, plus a few extras a little later. There were several years where the first flush was nipped off by frost, which is just so sad. I do love wisteria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay - Whether our seasons are the wrong way round or not and whether this is the bottom of the world (downunder) is a deeply philosophical question in the form of "which way is up?".
    I have asked and solved this question by turning my map of the world around so that the Southern hemisphere is pointing towards the sky.
    I feel this is something that will catch on and you if you do this with your own map of the world you will be instantly cured of your seasonal inaccuracies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scent of the stellata is fabulous at the moment... And the wisteria is to come. I love the way wisteria 'drips' off its vine like liquid grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6.9.08

    ROFL!

    I still say Christmas in 'June' is bizarre!

    Let me know when you've eradicated the sandflies and tamed those gigantic mosquitoes and I'll be back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you go Jay? I'd say at least to Milford Sound by the mention of sandflies and mozzies. Speaking of Milford, I feel a post coming on...

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.