'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 21 April 2010

I got Male



Recently I've been feeling the inclination to extend my movie viewing habits and take in some of those 'men' movies. I feel I should watch them so I understand what it is that makes many men refer to them in hallowed voices.
This interest came while watching 'You Got Mail' (what's wrong with 'You Have Mail'? - sounds much nicer) when the Tom Hanks character writes to the Meg Ryan character that she should 'Go to the mattresses!', a spine-improving, courage-inducing quote from 'The Godfather'.
So I've watched 'The Godfather', moved on to the first 'Die Hard' and am slowly ploughing my way through the Epic above, irritating theme whistle and all. I'm still working it out, but it has a lot to do with vicarious winning, I think. Still piecing my thoughts together.


9 comments:

  1. Eagerly awaiting your reviews ....Great movies, says a man!
    Don't forget Apocalypse Now, anything by Scorsese, or man comedies like Dumb and Dumber!!

    If you'll keep it quiet, I will admit to also liking The Piano - definitely NOT a man film! Ssshh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't say a word, Brian. But know I can wax lyrical over "The Piano" any day. It is one of the most sexy films of all time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do find some of the 'male' movies have their attractions. On the other hand, I am rather more inclined to Steel Magnolias, and Terms of Endearment. Or How to Make an American Quilt.
    Maybe I am 'maturing'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I so agree with you about The Piano. One of the great sexy movies of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - I think! The Piano is something special, but being a man I'm afraid I don't know what that "something" is, or how to describe it, only that I love this film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is a misnomer to talk about "men movies". What does this term actually mean?? It has the effect of sterotyping men and placing them within the constraints of that sterotype.

    Men and women respond to movies within the context of their intelligence, sensitivity, knowledge, life experience and interests. There may be minority groups of men or women who dominate in liking a particular genre, but overall I think men and women respond in various ways to a wide range of films, I know I do.

    I think the process of watching movies is a process that comes in two stages. First watch the movie. Second, discuss it with someone intelligent, sensitive and insightful whatever the gender of that person is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is that minority of men to which I referred Alden when I put the quote marks around the 'men' in my blog.

    I should have made it clearer. I should have said "movies that some men of my acquaintance have said they really enjoyed watching very much and have suggested I watch".

    Your questions invite exactly the kind of discussion that I hope to be in a much better position to participate in once I've continued out of my comfort zone a little while longer.

    I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should add "Once Upon A Time In The West" to your list - very "male" movie, complete with Sergio Leone's trademark theme music - a different theme for each of the major characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sam. It's added. I've never heard of that one before.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.