Saturday, 31 March 2012
Friday, 30 March 2012
Thursday, 29 March 2012
Wednesday, 28 March 2012
Tuesday, 27 March 2012
Monday, 26 March 2012
Here is the basic recipe.
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa powder mixed with 3/4 cup boiling water and 3/4 cup cold water.
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
3/4 cup oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Mix together the cocoa and water with the other liquid ingredients and the eggs.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into one large greased meat dish or two 20 cm round baking tins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170ºC for 35 - 40 minutes. Test around this time by inserting a skewer into the middle. If it comes out clean, cake is done.
- Let sit in tin for 5 minutes then run a knife around and remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, dust with icing sugar or ice with chocolate icing.
Chocolate icing: 1 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbsp cocoa, 2 tsp butter. Add 1 Tbsp boiling water and mix until smooth.
8. Store cake in an airtight container. Makes 32 pieces.
Sunday, 25 March 2012
Here are a couple of collages of my wonderful daughter who turned 21 last week. They should enlargerate with a click.
Saturday, 24 March 2012
Friday, 23 March 2012
I filled up salt and peppers, laid all the tables out, moved them around, moved them around again, and again, and finally realised I couldn't fit them all in. Luckily one family said they would be arriving late, so I will have the separate table for them, as they will be eating after everyone's finished. Have told them they are the floor show.
Thursday, 22 March 2012
And I vacuumed, dusted and basically re-organised the whole house so there will be room for 32 people to sit at tables in the lounge and through into the study.
Far too late for eggs, so not a tragedy as spring storms can be, this nest fell out of the bamboo. I can see where a little bamboo twig has been used to support it. I don't know who made it, possibly a sparrow.
Wednesday, 21 March 2012
But look at the highs! I did wonder why I was hot yesterday. I thought it was just because I was running around a lot.
Here is a poem my Mother and Father would chant to us when they were drying our hair with a towel, after it had been washed. And of course, I sang to my children too. Because it's nice to have family rituals and traditions, don't you think? I've looked it up on the internet, but I can't find it. I suppose it's English.