'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 9 March 2012

Ah, sweet memories.


A couple of mornings ago I came into the kitchen to make breakfast.
What's this on the counter? A half-drunk tankard of not-very-stout stout? An unusual sight in our house where beer is not usually left around but consumed while it's still fizzy.


Many thousands of years ago when I was at university, a saying was circulating around our group of flats. It originated from a time one non-rostered cooking night (possibly a Saturday) someone asked somebody else what was in the fridge that could be used for the makings of a meal. When the door was opened, all that sat on the shelves was a single cracked cup containing solidified fat left over from a roast long gone.

From then on the joke stock answer to "What's for tea?" became: "A cup of fat".

Funny, I hadn't thought of it for ages until I saw the tankard on the bench - liquid removed from a meatloaf my son made the other day, with a 'head' of fat.


2 comments:

  1. Makes a better picture than a real head of ale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but terribly disappointing to attempt to drink on a hot day, Geeb!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.