'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Dijea's Photo Challenge. 'Spring flowers'


Well, with no thought to us poor under-world creatures here in the southern hemisphere, Dijea set the challenge to be 'spring flowers' last week. I could resurrect some images from the archives, but instead I have taken these images of autumness in my garden. Soft shade and late afternoon slanting sun make the colours glow.
A cool corner under the fruit-laden mandarin tree grows pink fragrant japanese anemones well. The little variegated summer violet's leaves are looking rather tatty now at the end of summer, the ruby bromeliad has captured in its rosette bits and pieces from the trees above, and I can't look at the plump crab-apples without thinking how they will make plenty of glowing salmon-pink jelly for our winter morning toast.





4 comments:

  1. Well, how thoughtless of them!

    However, the anemones and violets do look wonderfully spring-like, don't they? The bromeliad would never survive outside here in this climate, and of course, the crab-apples give the game away, but on the whole you did well!

    Love those Japanese anemones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay, we are so lucky with the mild climate - I have a whole garden of bromeliads...! But it's nice to be able to grow apples and plums etc too.
    PS my son took one look at your last mystery image and said 'brick!'. What a clever chappie. He didn't even read the clues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I miss Spring in both countries I do love the fact that I'm never in a place without flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true Geeb! And hardly own any long-sleeved shirts too, as I recall :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.