Here is the basic recipe.
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa powder mixed with 3/4 cup boiling water and 3/4 cup cold water.
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
3/4 cup oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Mix together the cocoa and water with the other liquid ingredients and the eggs.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into one large greased meat dish or two 20 cm round baking tins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170ºC for 35 - 40 minutes. Test around this time by inserting a skewer into the middle. If it comes out clean, cake is done.
- Let sit in tin for 5 minutes then run a knife around and remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, dust with icing sugar or ice with chocolate icing.
Chocolate icing: 1 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbsp cocoa, 2 tsp butter. Add 1 Tbsp boiling water and mix until smooth.
8. Store cake in an airtight container. Makes 32 pieces.