'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Oh Isabella


I've been watching the weather forecasts over the last week more than usual, because of the party this Saturday. And it's been a very windy week, with rather a lot of rain over most of the country too.
Monday was extremely windy here, but we were much better off than some other places, where lines were down and there were power cuts. It was still rather breezy yesterday in most areas:

The rain was mostly soft, gentle drizzle here, much as you'd get in Rhyl...

.... and I am still sleeping under one duvet only. (Poor South Islanders!)

But look at the highs! I did wonder why I was hot yesterday. I thought it was just because I was running around a lot.


Here is a poem my Mother and Father would chant to us when they were drying our hair with a towel, after it had been washed. And of course, I sang to my children too. Because it's nice to have family rituals and traditions, don't you think? I've looked it up on the internet, but I can't find it. I suppose it's English.

Oh Isabella,
Never mind the weather.
As long as we're together,
Under my umbrella.

Does anyone out there know it too?


8 comments:

  1. You've not done to badly all things considered.

    I seem to recall that was an old war-time song (not that I remember it from the war you understand!) which went something like:

    Never mind the weather,
    Never mind the rain
    So long as we're together,
    All good friends and jolly good company

    That doesn't scan so there must be something missed out or added in there but it may have sparked your family song.

    And, yes, family traditions like that are a Good Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog; I'm a new follower!
    So nice to meet you!
    Best,
    Anne ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. That song sounds vaguely familiar Geeb. It could well have been the seed. Thanks!

    And, well, it's just lovely to have a new visitor! Welcome Anne, and thank you. When I next have a minute to myself, I'll make myself a cuppa and visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Katherine - never heard it before. By the way, I find it hard to believe that North Island weather could ever be as grim as it is in Rhyl. You must visit that Hawaiian resort when you visit these shores. You'll probably find beauty amidst the ugliness and the locals will love your traditional Welsh bonnet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be hard pressed to find a Welsh person in Rhyl these days never mind a bonnet.

      Delete
  5. Oh Isabella, come under me umberella!
    Never mind the weather, we'll stroll along together.
    Hail, rain, snows, blows, you will get wet right through your clothes!
    Oh my, don't be shy! Come under me umberella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Isabella, come under me umberella
    Never mind the weather, we'll stroll along together
    Hail, rain, snows, blows, you will get wet right through your clothes,
    Oh, my, don't be shy, come under me umberella!

    ("Isabella" pronounced Eye- zah-bella)

    - I'm trying to write out the tune so my son can sing it to his sleepless daughter (of 4 weeks...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I DO remember my Dad saying the whole version, now I see it written. But he probably skipped it mostly, because it wasn't entirely appropriate for little girls...

    Thank you Bob. And welcome to TLVD!
    Sorry about your golf-trolley!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.