'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday, 3 March 2012


Up north in a small settlement called Leigh there's a delightful little brewery called the Sawmill Brewery. I'm by no means a beer connoisseur, but I very much enjoyed the cold glass of 'wheat beer' I tried, and the gulp I had of their dark ale (or maybe it was the beer they call 'the Doctor'* - I'm not sure) was sublime.

You can buy the beers direct from the brewery when it's open, or, as we did, go next door to the 'Sawmill Cafe'.





*good for what ales you?

6 comments:

  1. To me, one of the best things about traveling is sampling the local beers. The best one I ever had was from a small stand in a park just outside the Louvre in Paris. I was feeling the effects of having just seen the Mona Lisa. Plus, I was in Paris! Plus, I was surrounded by lovers on the grass enjoying the sunshine. I'm not so sure that the beer was that good; perhaps it was the result of the moment.

    Then... there was that glass of "Buzzard Breath Ale" in Washington state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than a 'puny' attempt, Robert.

    Judy, it was nice to get your comment. I certainly could enjoy trying a few more different beers. (Next year my partner and I are off to, among other places, Scotland, as he wishes to sample the whiskeys!)

    Ah! Paris and La Gioconda would make any beverage heady I should think. Buzzard Breath Ale... sounds ... smelly! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than a 'puny' attempt, Robert.

    Judy, it was nice to get your comment. I certainly could enjoy trying a few more different beers. (Next year my partner and I are off to, among other places, Scotland, as he wishes to sample the whiskeys!)

    Ah! Paris and La Gioconda would make any beverage heady I should think. Buzzard Breath Ale... sounds ... smelly! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love what is referred to in the UK as real ale and still do when I go out to a place like The Sawmill Brewery and someone else is driving. I think the last time that happened was - well, lets see, hmmm, before I ever came to New Zealand in 2005 anyway. The other problem in New Zealand is that there are so many wines to be sampled and I rarely drink beer at home. I must give it a try.

    PS Any chance of you going over to embedded comments so that people can subscribe to comments? I know lots of people don't but I like to see what other people are saying and when my comments have been published on moderated sites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, yes, of course there are the wineries too!

    I had no idea all these years that people couldn't subscribe to comments on my blog. Thank you so much for telling me Geeb. I have done it, I think. Please let me know if it's doing the right thing now.

    ReplyDelete