'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 13 March 2012

The Wonderful Wellesley Street Eucalyptus Trees - Gone!



I now have it on the best authority (Tony's fabulous 49 year-old restaurant on Wellesley Street) that this wonderful tree (and its neighbours) have been cut down over the weekend. I posted about it here in May 2010, because, at the time, it was about the best thing I experienced on a trip I had made up to Auckland.

What a terrible pity.

Thank you to the anonymous commenter who drew it to my attention.

The woman I spoke to at Tony's said she thought it was because a block of apartments were going up nearby.

4 comments:

  1. To kill a tree needlessly is sacrilege. I trust they had a really justifiable reason: apartments or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous13.3.12

    I walk down the street every work day and was flabbergasted at the barren side walk between Nelson Street and Sale Street. There is a terrible mess of sawdust and leaves and dirt and a strong smell of eucalyptus. Such a shame as I have always admired them. And they shielded you from the sun as you walk up the hill. Mid summer it can get quite hot. As I have chronic fatique sydrome and had my thyroid removed last year I would need to rest in the shade on my way up the hill. Now there is no shade. I am just so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon. Thank you for your input. You will especially miss them, then. I always find the uphill side of Queen a bit of a struggle in summer or winter. I always seem to be lugging a heavy suitcase back to the bus stop too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GB I hope they had a good reason too. It takes so long to grow a decent-sized tree. And so short a time to cut it down...

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.