'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 13 April 2012

Katherine's Spiced Fruit Muffins


Bowing to public pressure, here is my world-famous-in-my-garden muffin recipe.
It's really easy, and you can use whatever fruit you have. I experiment with mixtures, for example banana with apricot yoghurt. Rhubarb is nice too. If there's nothing else, even apple and chopped dates will get favourable comments.

Mix together: 1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda (soda bic)
Heat together 1 cup lightly stewed diced fruit and 50 gm butter, just enough to melt the butter.
Add 1 egg and mix.
Add 2/3 cup yoghurt and mix again.
Fold wet into dry ingredients. Mixture will start to rise immediately. Don't over-mix or the muffins will be rubbery.
Quickly put spoonfuls into a greased muffin tin and bake at 200ºC for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden.

Makes 9 large or 12 small muffins.

4 comments:

  1. Shirley will be delighted to have this. Isn't there a chant you must say when stirring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. muffins accordinging to my cardiologist are not good for mine heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. see now I struggle.... a) I don't know what 1 cup (or indeed part thereof) measurement is..... and there is no number (or letter for that matter) "b)" because I've just worked out - rather dimly, that "soda bic" is what we call "bicarbonate of soda".... I'm a bit poorly so you can forgive my stupidity I hope! Otherwise I will be sure to give this a whirl - especially with rhubarb!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's apparently not so much a muffin "chant" that's required as a dance...... ka mate ka mate!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.