'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 16 July 2012

All Your Goldfish is Belong to Me.

It's been a long afternoon.  My first in the petshop.  
I don't know much about fish at all.  Of course I've seen them in aquariums and ponds, swim in the sea with them, laid them lovingly in my frying-pan, etc, but I've never actually ever drawn them.  And the trouble is that when you paint or draw fish, it's a bit like drawing sparrows or blackbirds:  you know exactly when it's wrong, but you don't necessarily know what is wrong.  My drawings ... well, as my teachers used to say "There's room for improvement".

I thought I'd start with something easy.  The goldfish are calm, fairly slow swimming, and don't run away when you walk up to their tank.  Actually, they crowd forward to see if they can be first to have their portrait painted!  I drew goldfish all afternoon. I'm all goldfished out.   

Sandy Skoglund Fish Room.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah... the original 'belong to us'. Excellent.

      Delete
    2. when the internet was a good place..... (drifts off into wavy cream sequence)

      Delete
    3. A cream sequence... Hmmm. Is it fattening?

      Delete
  2. My great uncle used to draw fish illustrations for those "What fish is that?" type books and technical reference books. There's obviously a career to be had there somewhere! Hope you are enjoying yourself.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Helsie. I am tempted often by the career of an illustrator. Especially when the car starts making funny noises (like today) or I realize (two days ago) that the bath outlet plumbing has been leaking for some time (months?) under the house.

      Delete
  3. Sandy Skoglund's painting gives me a funny feeling in my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives me a funny feeling in my head Robert.

      Delete
  4. Matisse was the best ever painter of goldfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Matisse's work was lovely.

      What do you think of Fukahori's work Cro?

      http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/artist-uses-resin-to-create-beautiful-3d-goldfish-paintings-20120115/

      Delete
  5. I once had an aquarium with neon fish but never gold fish. Now i have a dam in my garden with mini koi fish. Hope you enjoy beeing at the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Kirsten! Very much. I started painting the neon tetras today.

      Delete
  6. I've just populated my pond with goldfish. I wouldn't like to draw them though. But then I have difficulty drawing a circle around an upturned glass on a piece of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have difficulty drawing a circle around an upturned glass Geeb. I never seem to be able to line it up so it meets the first bit of the line.

      That's why I stick to fish and feathers. It's harder to see when I make mistakes...

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.