'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 17 July 2012

My Friend the Giant Goldfish


When faced with a myriad, a cornucopia, a rainbow, nay a bouquet of fishes, where to begin?

With a gigantic captive goldfish, of a species I think is called a comet, on account of his (of her) long tail.
I was told that this particular one was recently returned to its pet shop 'home', because it outgrew its owners' tank capacity.  I wonder what they fed it.  It really is a beauty.

I observed and drew, and looked and sketched, for three solid hours.

Swimming up ...

... and swimming back again.
Rushing straight in, and trying to draw the whole thing is a big temptation.  Of course, when I looked back, the proportions were all up the boohai.

It's best to start with just bits of the object first.

First attempts
The tail.  Well, tails.  There were dozens of shapes!
Just some of his tails.

I mentally laid it flat and drew it so I could see the way the vein-lines went:
Exploring the vein-lines

The more you look and try, and fail, the more you see how it really goes:
Tails start looking more realistic.

Then I became bolder and tried to draw different angles.
Exploring different orientations.


I'd like to think we have bonded.  I'm sure my comet is pleased to have some company.  Here he is coming up for a nuzzle at the glass.

Reminds me of John's banner hen.

5 comments:

  1. I always thought that carp grew to the size of there tank or pond.....obviously not. a very handsome fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that too, Adrian. I expect that the food and/or oxygen become limiting factors under normal circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to say something along the lines of the tank/pond theory..... foiled again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if you are working as an artist in the petshop or is the drawing and painthing just for fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting question Kirsten. I am a professional artist. But it's also fun. And challenging, and routine, and fascinating, and educational, and fulfilling, and frustrating, and poorly-paid, and obsessional, and ... well, it's just what I have to do!

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.