'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 13 August 2012

Spring Already?

Muddy waters.  View from my back garden.
We've had a lot of rain the last few weeks.  Heavy, pound-on-the-tin-roof type rain that washes away road cuttings and submerges main road bridges.  But the perpetual overcast skies have banished the frosts so lots of plants think it's spring already.  I went out the back to take a photo of our rushing muddy river and I see the golden wattle (mimosa) and the wild cherries are out already!
Now I'm sitting in my lounge surrounded by the opulent scent of three stalks of narcissus plucked from the garden, and the primulas are out there, bowed down by raindrops, but putting on a colourful show.  The orchids, camelias and daphne are actually almost over and now it's the time for the magnolias and fruit blossoms which are starting to bloom in gardens all over the town.  It was almost unnecessary to light the fire last night.  Gracious!  I think winter must nearly be over, and it seems like it only just began.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's almost here in Brisbane too.
    We're having a last splurge of cool weather but the days are warming up to about 24-26 now so it won't be long before you hear me complaining about the heat again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, well Helsie, don't let those Brits hear you moan. Poor, white creatures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a bit of sunburn from my fishing exploits I'll have you know - a real T-Shirt tan!! Besides, it's too damn hot for me to sleep at night now.... roll on Autumn.... the BEST time for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, sorry, then. I take it all back AF...Actually I can remember getting brown one memorable summer biking around England. I was so brown, everyone we met 'knew' we must be from New Zealand. Or Aussie.

      Delete
  4. It's very different from the verdant green view from that spot that I've seen when I've been there although I have seen the waters muddy. Just as you are thinking that summer is on its was I'm thinking that summer here on Lewis hasn't arrived yet and it'll soon be winter. Thank heaven for migration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another of your comments that was enmeshed in my spam folder...

      You poor cold godwit, you!

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.