'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 20 September 2014

The New Zealand Elections

Today most New Zealanders will vote in the general election.  I have never before felt so invested in an election outcome.  Scotland's majority went with the status quo.  I suspect we will too.  The thought depresses me greatly. But suffice to say that I am nervous to express anything much because it has been revealed this week that, even if not used, our government has for some time had the ability to surveil individual New Zealanders. Now, I'm sure my environmental concerns are not hidden, but also not terribly important to anyone in Wellington, but it's a little bit of a creepy feeling.
And depressing.

If your little sword is broken this time, come back to me, little vote.  And I shall let you free again in another three years.


5 comments:

  1. I hope you get the least worst of 'probably' a bunch of self centred egotists (ahem).

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time a candidate or an issue makes it to the ballot here, it has already been screened and preapproved by the moneyed. When the masses get to vote, it's between Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dumber, a meaningless choice. If a maverick somehow pops up and gets too much attention, the moneyed concentrate their forces to cut him down, or buy him off. It really is depressing. We don't really have a democracy, we're just told that we do. (from California, USA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need to get out and vote. We have the creeps following us too. I had the Prime Minister's Office visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were right. Status Quo did get in again. What's it like being governed by an ageing British rock band? By the way I loved the poem/cartoon. Individually our votes are almost worthless and democracy is rather overrated in my view.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.