'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 17 July 2016

The Adventures Begin ...

A renown entomologist who I have known for about 8 years phoned me up and said he was looking for someone to replace his assistant/ photographer on a forthcoming research trip.  She had had to cancel due to family issues of some sort.  Would I come in her place?

Basically the job would be roughly as follows:
1. attend the Pacific Science Congress in Taipei and and take notes on lectures he was interested in but not able to attend due to overlap with others.
2. take photos of plants and critters, especially insects and spiders, using a camera that he would supply.
3.  deal with any business-related computer correspondence using my laptop as he doesn't have one.
4.  We would be visiting Palau, Pohnpei, and Guam in addition to Taiwan. 

There would almost certainly be a bit of time off for me to do my own thing, and this would likely include the opportunity to go snorkeling.
There would be no payment for me, but all expenses would be paid.
The whole trip would be about 26 days. 

I took about three days to think about it, asked hardly any questions, and said yes.
What would you have done?
Would you have asked any questions?
What would they have been?





16 comments:

  1. Glad you made the artistic decision - you know, taking a risk, extending experiences, walking a different path. I would have been paralysed by stewardship factors like who would look after the garden for such a long trip. It all sounds wonderful and you will meet some very interesting people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise - Interesting you called it the artistic decision. I gues you are right... I let the garden go (it's winter here anyway), got the mail diverted to my son's address, set the timers on the lights randomly (I often work at odd times at night) locked the gate and went.

      Delete
    2. Oh and told my neighbours and turned off the hot water heater.

      Delete
  2. I gasped when I read that 'no payment would be made'. I wonder what arrangement he'd made with the woman who couldn't go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions Cro. I didn't gasp at the time, but re. financial, it is an issue, sure. And one that I have addressed since, given that there was a lot more work in much more grueling (hot) conditions than I ever thought.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kate,
    Of course you said yes. Going into the unknown as an adventurer.
    This could also be the plot of a romantic story: The scientist and the artist.
    Did you fall in love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Ben. No I didn't fall in love. But it WOULD make a great story!

      Delete
  4. So it has already occurred then, which I was able to ferret out by your speaking in the past tense in your comments to others! I'm quick that way.

    If a similar opportunity arises again and you find that you are unable to go, I recommend that your benefactor consider Yorkshire Pudding's friend Adrian in Scotland as it would be right up his alley. But only if he could take his West Highland terriers, Alf and Milly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it wasn't clear Robert. Yep, been and gone and come back.
      (I have to do retrospective posts when I have been away because although my neighbours were keeping an eye on the house, I didn't have a house-sitter ... and I didn't want YP to come over and have parties and trash the place while I was away).

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Molly (not Milly).

      Delete
  5. All I would have heard out of that lot would have been the word 'spiders'... so NO! (Not to mention two dozen or so other reasons why no one who knows me would even have thought to ask me in the first place...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds right up your alley. Hope there are lots of details about the adventure coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please post about this amazing trip to places most people never get to see. I am very envious. The only question I would have asked beforehand would have been "When are we leaving?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing for your comment YP... I may have some time tonight.

      Delete
  8. The only question I would have asked: WHERE DO I SIGN UP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, a signed thing might have been sensible Mrs S, but that would have taken a certain... ‘interesting’ randomness out of the trip. Which was difficult, but probably, like sennapod tea, good for me.

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.