'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 4 June 2009

Monday. Madam Tussauds



Today we borrowed the car and took ourselves to Manningtree Station and then on the train to Liverpool Street Station -> Baker Street and Madam Tussauds.  How nice to be back here again after more than 10 years.  The queue looked exactly the same, 'though, and brought back memories of two hot and tired young boys, N. in the push-chair and eating sandwiches while we shuffled forwards inch by inch.  This time it didn't seem as long before we were deciding to include a 'Spirit of London' tour as well as the planetarium and waxworks.  It was all fantastic, and great to be able to walk up to and all around the figures, although we had to compete with hoards of other people to pose with our favourites. 

 




A lot of fun!  It was quite disconcerting at times to turn around and find Sean Connery or Robin Williams looking at you  directly in the eye.  

 


It really feels as if you are in a movie that momentarily has the 'pause' button on,  and that any minute someone will press 'play' and all the famous people will begin to turn around and perhaps start a conversation with you. 







The chamber of horrors was a hoot!  I was so nervous I giggled all the way through.  Real actors are combined with the figures and walk up to you, standing very close in the confines of the narrow corridors, saying such things as "Ooooh, hello poppet!" in a creepy voice while wearing dirty bandages or leprous-looking pustular makeup.  It was wonderfully scary, but I was still glad to get out!




10 comments:

  1. Sounds like great fun. We had a really great wax museum here called Potter's Wax Museum. It was probably the best in the U.S. at the time. The owners sold it, the artists all left, and it is now less than half what it once was. I miss that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed Madame Tussauds. Just a tip.... you can avoid the queues by pre-booking tickets on sites like www.365tickets.com or www.ticketmaster.co.uk. You then can sail through the pre-booked barrier and be inside in no time. A lot of theatres and venues in the UK are on these sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken: I haven't heard of Potter's. I see that there are at least for M T's in the US - Vegas, NY, Hollywood, and Washington...
    Rosiero: Thanks for the info. We impulsively decided to go and take our chances, but yes, booking online sounds sensible! Next time... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm confused! Are you in England or NZ? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I left a comment but it seems to have disappeared into the void.

    Queen Victoria
    Dunno, unless it's Albert Einstein
    The Incredible Hulk
    Pierce Brosnan
    Robin Williams
    The Dalai Lama
    The Queen Mum
    Dunno

    How'd I do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Katherine,

    looks like fun, kinda, 'course we find the wax dummies scary {don't ask}. the Hulk is just the right size, and Robin Williams? uncanny . . .

    uh, Kath, have you added music to your blog? we were all weirded-out trying to figure where it was coming from. . . . blame it on a misspent youth. :-)

    anyhoo,
    thanks again,

    keep on bloggin'

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just looking at pictures of the trip Ian and I made to the MTM in Las Vegas the other day! I enjoyed that trip a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jay - it's just that retro-diary-thing. Sorry to confuse you!

    Robert - You did very well. I've no idea who that last person is either - I expect just Mr Scary.

    sUN - The music shouldn't some on unless you click...

    Debby - oh, you and Ian get around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sUN, of course that should be 'come' not 'some'

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's years - decades - since I was last there. I wonder if I'd enjoy it as much now. Yes. On consideration I think I's like it even more now.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.