'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 13 June 2009

Trafalgar Square




From Baker Street we went to Trafalgar Square to see the lions  and the fountains 
 and the pigeons     (no feeding them any more), and I took another photo of N. sitting up on the same lion that she sat on when she was five:  

 While we were there I noticed a few police around, and one was interviewing a little girl of about 4.  We didn't rubberneck to find out what it was about.  Anyway, I'm not sure I wanted to know.  We just walked across the square to New Zealand House where I cast my absentee vote for the NZ elections.
It's a small world; the woman who crossed my name off came from Matamata.

Back to the square via half an hour in the National Art Gallery shop, then we walked down to the Thames and wandered along the Embankment gardens.  

And then back to Manningtree on the train and home by 6.30.


7 comments:

  1. Seems like it was only yesterday that I was there. England and Europe have always had a magnetic pull on me - even more so lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have a good time? I bet you did! It's a shame they don't let us feed the Trafalgar Square pigeons anymore. It was practically an English institution!

    Let me know if you have any spare time and want to meet up - though I appreciate you have a schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though you have hurt my feelings by accusing me of being wimpish, I am not bitter - well not much! You ******* Kiwi ****!Did you see Sherlock Holmes and his chum Dr Watson during your visit to Baker Street?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I left a comment on this one! I know for sure I did! And I've got into the habit of checking that it's been saved before moving on, since Blogger sometimes doesn't like my captcha contributions!

    Where did it go? :(

    Anyway, looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, goody! A walking, photographic tour of London! Thank you for playing to my Anglophilia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post...the fountains and statues are beautiful. I have never been there, thanks for sharing!

    http://spacialpeepol.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alden - I love England and Europe. Too bad we are such a long way away!

    Jay - you DID leave a comment. I lost it somewhere, sorry. I'm so flattered you are so keen to meet up that you keep forgetting this is a retrospective diary that I'm posting. It's for whomever wants to read it, but especially for my daughter, who's the one in all the pics...

    YP, I'm so glad you are out of hospital and hope you're getting better quickly. I do hope they gave you a soap mouth-wash along with your bed-bath, 'tho!

    You are welcome, Robert - from one Anglophile to another!

    Sis - I'm glad to please. More to come. You can visit the whole lot from the side-bar under the heading "Le Grand Tour".

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.