'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 16 November 2008

Them's the breaks



Oldest son T. lives in Hamilton, about 90 minutes away.  He's broken his ankle.   On Friday morning he came off his skateboard  (a special long one)  which he uses to get to and from work.  The story from the horse's mouth is that he saw that his ankle looked wonky and, after deliberation, decided to make it a better shape.  Then, finding he still couldn't walk very well, texted a friend who took him to a nearby A&E, from whence he was taken by ambulance to the main Waikato hospital A&E.  The ambulance officer who picked him up said 
"What's a guy your age doing on a skateboard anyway?"  
"I'm 23" replied T.  
"Oh" said the ambulance officer sheepishly.  (T does look a lot older due to his full bushy beard.)
At A&E they told him he had missed his calling.  Generally when people put their broken ankles 'back' they can pinch nerves or sever arteries, but T. did neither, luckily.  

He was given the usual X-ray and the ankle plastered, but later in the afternoon they cut that cast off and re-plastered the ankle in a slightly different position.  This is only temporary too, however, as he needs a plate screwed in when the swelling has gone down a bit.  Estimated day of general anesthetic and surgery is tomorrow Monday, so I'll go over to Hamilton again then.  This is his first time in hospital, ever.   (I think it will be the longest time he's been without a computer in nearly twenty years too).
Daughter N. has her first NCEA3 exam (biology) Monday morning too, and I'm supposed to be exhibiting paintings Thursday to Sunday, so it's shaping up to be another busy week!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous17.11.08

    Heavens above, the guy must have a high pain threshold to be messing with his own broken bones like that! I hope the surgery goes well.

    I can imagine that the ambulance crew might say something similar to me if I come off one of the horses and break something. 'What's a woman of your age doing learning to ride Western anyway?' ROFL!

    Good luck to your daughter with her exams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch!! I hope he heals well after the surgery. I can't fuss about his skateboarding too much since I sprained my ankle on one when I decided to take up skateboarding at the age of 24.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.