'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 18 November 2018

Botanical Paintings in Progress.

Hello everyone.  Many apologies for my month's absence from your comment box and blogging bin, but I have been busy painting.  I am now proud to announce (Ta dahhhh!) my participation in the group show 'South Seas Botanical' which opened a few days ago.  Those of you in Aotearoa New Zealand are of course warmly invited to see the show at the Zeus Gallery, Tauranga.  Those that are not currently in NZ, here are some views of my works in progress (w.i.p).  Next week I will post some views of the completed work on the gallery walls, and of the other three exhibitors' works too.


Dianella (blue berry plant).  The berries have not developed yet.
The soft hairy young leaves and small flowers of NZ Korokia 

Korokia
Colourful bacterial and fungal deterioration of Whirariki - Mountain flax
 (Phormium cookianum)

Whirariki - Mountain flax (Phormium cookianum)

Karaka - NZ Laurel (Corynocarpus laevigatus)
Karaka berries in progress - NZ Laurel (Corynocarpus laevigatus)
The very tiny karaka flowers and bud.

Karaka flowers.  Just putting in the first layers.
Tanekaha (Phyllocladus trichomanoides)

Tanekaha (Phyllocladus trichomanoides) wip

Puriri (Vitex lucens) with flowers and young berries.

Puriri (Vitex lucens)
Puriri leaves wip
Puriri leaves wip

Puriri flowers

Puriri flowers coming along.
The green moth is the 'puriri moth' Aenetus virescens, the larvae of which burrow
into the puriri tree and consume material before emerging as the adult.The adult only lives a day.

Kiokio - Palm Leaf Fern (Blechnum novae-zelandiae)

Kiokio wip












12 comments:

  1. The astonishingly beautiful sheen you have captured on some of the leaves is....well, astonishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geeb! With watercolour one generally leaves the palest areas virtually untouched, so as you can imagine, your need to plan your painting very carefully.

      Delete
  2. My goodness. The paintings look like the real thing. I am so impressed at the talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. I have been painting a good many years now (45!) so have done a lot of practice.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful observation! Laudable patience! Splendid results! Sorry I won't be visiting the Zeus Gallery during the exhibition period.

    P.S. Dabb is a great name for a painter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you YP, I appreciate your observations too. Yes! I guess with a name like that he had to work at NOT appearing just to 'DABBle!

      Delete
  4. Every one of those is absolutely gorgeous, Kate! You are probably your own worst critic, but here there should be nothing but pride and satisfaction. I know very little about art but am trying to convey my heartfelt admiration for your talent and dedication. The results speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Robert. I have improved my watercolour techniques considerably since I began. Of course you have one of my early acrylic botanicals!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous; so fragile, delicate and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surely the botanicals -- beautiful, by the way -- are not still in progress. You must have finished them by now. So what have you been doing lately? You are missed around Blogland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Robert, thank you for this comment. I have indeed finished this show and am on to all kinds of other interesting things in my life... have just written a new post.

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.