'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Fantail Done.

An extra post today, because this afternoon I finally finished this flamboyant fantail.  
Yes, if you're detecting a note of relief, you may be right.  It was a challenge to meet my standard with this one.  The flimsy gossamer convolutions of the tail and the way the light fell on it was a challenge.  The pale gold of the face was another.  The colors of the body and tail - I got half way through and all I could see were holes instead of black patches!...  I had a few minor melt-downs with this one.  And it took twice as long as the others. 

But it's done now, and I'm fairly happy with it.  

You might see, (ignoring the light-bounce off the black paper), that it is a lot darker than it was this morning.  
The tail especially was so pale the 'first' time I'd finished, that it was competing for focal point with the body, so I 'pushed it back' with olive green and grey, and also removed a lot of the texture and contrast by burnishing.  Then I reddened and brightened up the head and body, so it would be the first to attract the eye.

Now I think the tail is where it should be:  a place to visit after the main event. 

looks better enlarged...
Fantail Dancer. Conte chalk and colour pencil. 42 cm x 29.7 cm

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Clever lady !

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done - I can tell you've had to work hard on this one..... a very tricky subject indeed and you've done a wonderful job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that even to the layman that was obviously a tricky subject. For me, though, ever since I saw the original fish my focus has been on the tail and the wonderful movement. It fascinates me far more than the rest of the fish. For me you have captured that movement (good job I'm not on Just a Minute 'cos I'd be buzzed for repetition) and I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw... Ta very much!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.