An extra post today, because this afternoon I finally finished this flamboyant fantail.
Yes, if you're detecting a note of relief, you may be right. It was a challenge to meet my standard with this one. The flimsy gossamer convolutions of the tail and the way the light fell on it was a challenge. The pale gold of the face was another. The colors of the body and tail - I got half way through and all I could see were holes instead of black patches!... I had a few minor melt-downs with this one. And it took twice as long as the others.
But it's done now, and I'm fairly happy with it.
You might see, (ignoring the light-bounce off the black paper), that it is a lot darker than it was this morning.
The tail especially was so pale the 'first' time I'd finished, that it was competing for focal point with the body, so I 'pushed it back' with olive green and grey, and also removed a lot of the texture and contrast by burnishing. Then I reddened and brightened up the head and body, so it would be the first to attract the eye.
Now I think the tail is where it should be: a place to visit after the main event.
looks better enlarged...
|Fantail Dancer. Conte chalk and colour pencil. 42 cm x 29.7 cm|