'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday, 16 December 2012

Conversation with a Neighbour

Neighbour:  "Do you have a pet possum now?"
Me: "Er, no.  Have you seen one?"
Neighbour: "It's just that I heard you talking one evening to one when it was on your studio roof ...  and then the other night I saw you following it when it walked along the top of your fence and across your clothesline and then it went under your house.  You seemed quite conversational"
Me:  "Ah, well, actually there are a number of them, have been a number of them, and I've been trying to catch them."
Neighbour:  "Looked to me like you could have just grabbed them."
Me: "Er, well, yes... (thinks about lying and saying I am the possum-whisperer) ... er ... (thinks about explaining I have a blog and like to take pictures for it) ... (ends up just smiling lamely).



7 comments:

  1. This is just the beginning. Your neighbour will secretly contact "the authorities". One thing will lead to another and before long they'll come for you in a white van and carry you away as you scream "I'm a brush tailed possum! Let me go!". Your neighbour will be watching with arms crossed and a knowing shake of the head - civic duty done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a blog explains a lot of odd behaviour --- like taking photos of your food whenever you eat out!I'm forever looking at my life to see what would make an interesting post.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes blogging gives a whole new perspective on life and, obviously, on possums (or is it possa?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. YP - When you mention 'civic duty' for some reason I am reminded of a certain series of unfortunate meter-reader kidnappings that occurred in your district.

    Helsie. I blog therefore I am.

    GB - it's possi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A group of people who search for marsupials are a possi posse. Discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possibly a possi posse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We is gonna get us together a possi posse and we is gonna KETCH us thet they varmits and thet they varmits is gonna HENG!

    ReplyDelete