'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 31 August 2018

Copenhagen University Horticultural Gardens

Next day I walked a few blocks and found one of the gates to the Copenhagen University Horticultural Gardens.
I spent a happy four hours ambling along the paths and walks looking for insects and spiders and beautiful plants, and taking photos.  It was quite dry but I saw lots of Apis melifera (honey bees) as there were hives in one corner.*
Once or twice I looked up and extended my focal distance to greater than half a metre and noticed there were children, young couples, older people, and birds.  Many of them were looking at me curiously, and they were usually smiling.  I suppose I was so intent that I was an object of interest.
Then I went back to my accommodation and slept and slept and slept again.


I was so excited to see my first non-buff-bottomed bumblebee.

Spent poppy seed-case.


Flower beetles of some sort

 anyone know?

Euphorbia sp.

Scabiosa

A. Melifera, the honey bee.

Hives

?

Aquilegia var.


Aphids and a male Chironomidae fly.
(You can tell it's male because it has feathery antennae.)





There were large numbers of harlequin beetles.
(You can tell it's a harlequin and not the ladybird
because they are bigger and also have a 'W" or 'M' just behind the head.)

Bug.

One of the Opiliones.  Also known as harvestman or Daddy Long-legs.


Pica pica, the Eurasian magpie.  Quite unlike our downunder one.
(Oh, did you know this is considered to be the most intelligent non-human animal?)



The 'Malkepigen' Statue (The Milkmaid)

helebore var


?

The Science department ... no, I didn't go in.

* I saw very few A. Melifera in the rest of Europe and the UK.






2 comments:

  1. I'm no good with insects but we have plenty of magpies around here - including magpie nests in two trees I see from my kitchen window. I also sometimes see them fighting with crows and seagulls over garbage bags etc left behind by careless humans. Actually, if you so much as forget to shut the lid/door on the bins properly, I suspect they may sometimes get them out of there themselves. And in the cemetery nearby, there is a memorial area where people often put flowers in vases on the ground. Sometimes you see these flowers having been picked out of the vases and strewn about on the ground. I used to wonder what kind of people DO that... until I caught them at it, and they weren't people at all but magpies (perhaps crows too). The vases are perfect drinking glasses to them, just the right hight. And who wants a rose with sharp thornes in their drink...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound very good at using the resources around them!

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.