'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 23 March 2012

Countdown to the party: One day to go.


Today I made two chocolate-berry and cream layer cakes. I used Karyn's quick and easy chocolate cake recipe....

... cut the cakes in half, and leveled out the tops.
I mixed up two cans of chopped strawberries and a big punnet of frozen blueberries with some plum jam, and spread this on each layer, topping off with whipped cream.


I filled up salt and peppers, laid all the tables out, moved them around, moved them around again, and again, and finally realised I couldn't fit them all in. Luckily one family said they would be arriving late, so I will have the separate table for them, as they will be eating after everyone's finished. Have told them they are the floor show.

N. arrived and folded all the table napkins beautifully and placed them in the bowls.

Together we chopped two bags of carrots and put them in the fridge. Bought wine, beer, punch ingredients, coffee, tea, milk, cream, chicken, flour, pesto, spring onions, cashew nuts, apples, Easter eggs, party ice, pastry sheets and frozen peas.

Cleaned the bathroom and the loo and got hand-towels and clean mats out ready to put out tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. My oh my - you have been a busy little kiwi! By now, the party will be over. I hope it's all gone well, nobody tumbled down the banking into the river and that Miss N appreciated mama's hard work. The pictured cake looked like a work of artistic genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you YP! Yes I was busy, yes it's over, yes it went well, no, nobody fell into the river, and yes, N. made a very pretty grown-up speech thanking everyone for coming and for their places in her life, and her Mum for the party. It was a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting late. Looks yumcious! My friend who is staying had no idea there was a word 'yumcious' when I asked how it was spelt. The ignorance of people today! Glad that it all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well GB, coincidently, cake-Karyn's own daughter, who is a little younger than mine, and who attended the party, coined the similar term (when she was quite young: 'Malicious!' when she had something nice to eat. This word is now part of our family history.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.