'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 4 March 2012

The Impassable Wilderness


http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/bookofweek

The Book Depository has nominated the above as its 'Book of the Week' this week.

I've always enjoyed beautifully illustrated children's books.
They are, needless to say, really a completely different genre to a well-written book sans illustrations (for any age) that evokes (as all books should) the images in your imagination.
I have a number of illustrated books about which I should post someday.

In the meantime, this book has attracted my attention.
"Wildwood"; Very Northern Hemispheric, with conifer and deciduous woods full of mammals, some of which, are of course, predator to humans.

I love the look of this book. Words plus excellent pictures. Perhaps because I consider it a work of art. Perhaps because of the combination of maps and Charlie-Harper- like simplification in the images (I love maps in books). Perhaps because, in Lemony-Snicket style, it challenges children to be adventurous, resourceful, and physically challenged. (Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me many kids these days don't Get Out much.)

Then again, perhaps reading it allows them to be physically active vicariously... Oh dear.
Stop reading kids. Get out into the woods. I mean it!



3 comments:

  1. Looks intriguing -- I'm frightened already.

    My inner child is never too old for a children's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Playing out' was something we spent our whole time wanting to do. From all the games in the road when we were very young to going to the woods on our bikes when we were older. The opportunities were endless. Now that's 'boring'. 'We'd rather get fat playing on the play station or whatever'. Actually that's a little unfair on many children but trying to get them from in front of the screen can be a problem at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Robert.

    I never found biking and exploring boring. But we didn't have TV, or computer of course. I must say that the allure of the screen is very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.