'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 16 March 2015

Making Grape Juice

I hope I'm doing it right. Washing (lots of little spiders of the same variety - dear little things with a wee round body shaped like a tiny unripe grape), plucking off the grapes, mash 'em, cook 'em up, strain through a cloth, and bottling with honey to sweeten. Last year the resultant thick cordial was elixir from heaven when added to carbonated water. 



6 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needed more sugar than last year, but better flavour!

      Delete
  2. I dump about 2 wheelbarrow loads onto my compost each year, maybe I should be making this. How long does it keep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bottled it hot into those rubber-sealed flip over topped glass bottles, and I've put them in the pantry, Cro. I hope they are sterile. They should be... But I will come back here and let you know if they explode. Or better still, turn into wine.

      Delete
  3. I really hope that they don't explode Kate. A rogue bottle of elderflower wine exploded in our pantry once over 4 decades decades ago and embedded glass in the plaster to its full depth. It scared the life out of me and I've never made any since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not Geeb. I have refridgerated them just in case.

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.