'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday, 14 September 2015

What a Waspy Coincidence

Last night I decided to use up some leftover wool and began to knit a wee waspy-striped singlet in a cream and gold (No, nothing on the horizon in the way of small kiwis to fill it yet. As far as I am aware).
This morning during breakfast there was a Queen wasp bumping on the kitchen light fitting, and when I went out into the day, a young paper wasp queen was sunning herself on the verandah.
They obviously have been hibernating, but were drawn out by the clear invitation of my cosy warm knitting.  I shall card them, scour their fibres and incorporate them into the garment.



4 comments:

  1. We have been surprisingly short of Wasps this Summer.... now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not fond of any of those stinging bugs so don't know how I'd feel about incorporating them in a jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure it's a case of the less, the merrier, for these fellows. They are quite safe in a jersy Helsie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of wasps in general (they are one creature I kill rather than humanely eject) but paper wasps are an unpleasant introduction and, if I recall correctly, as with German wasps, they are not friendly towards the native wasps the majority of which do not sting.

    ReplyDelete