'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 18 May 2008

The Sun has got his hat on


A lovely week.  The weather has been settled as it often is this time of year, and we've had about seven days of sunshine in a row.  Great for the kiwifruit harvest which is in full swing.   My village, renown for its flowering cherries, is a picture...


I went outside a few minutes ago to see if I could capture a clearer pic of our Tui who was chuckling and clicking away up in the strawberry tree - 


But this one I took yesterday will have to do.  I couldn't see him now, but when I peeked over the bank, one of the shags had just at that moment caught quite a substantial fish and was trying to swallow it with great bobbings and shakings of his head.  It looked to be about 30 cm long (12 ins) and gleaming silver.  He and his friends were sitting on the log yesterday after their fishing. 

The gnarly old pine tree and the ghost gum look lovely against the clear skies.


2 comments:

  1. Do they have many shags in New Zealand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes YP - lots of really good ones. Especially around my area.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.