'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday, 23 September 2010

An Acrylic art exercise using layers


I began by drawing the three fish and then carefully painting in a rich olive green/ variable background. I wanted a gradient of colour across the painting to give a sense of movement and add interest.

Once I'd painted the fish (using mostly thin washes and layers,) the green looked too contrasting - too different from the fish colours and I realised it needed warming up.

I washed over the green with a magenta and the result was this interesting mix of browns and an appealing 'deep-sea' atmosphere.



One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...


5 comments:

  1. Perhaps it's just me but the second fish down appears to have a remarkable resemblance to the Canton, Georgia blogger, Mr Robert Brague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic, way beyond any skills I could hope for but it could hang happily on my wall. If I had a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just you, YP.

    Thank you Adrian. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't see past the blue lips on the bottom fish. Great fun. Well that's how I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beaky-sort of thing - a parrot fish. (They eat coral) But with my own version of its colours...

    ReplyDelete