'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday, 25 September 2010

Watercolour - Red and Brown Onions



I did a considerable number of watercolour paintings of onions before I felt I had achieved that thin translucency of the papery outside skin and also the shine that I wanted.

Watercolour is a tricky medium and I admire people who master the odd mode in which one has to work: fast, yet relaxed; patient, yet know when to stop before it becomes overworked and looks laboured. I suspect I've forgotten how to achieve it these days.

3 comments:

  1. I've no idea, of course, what you consider a considerable number to be in this context but you've certainly achieved the stated objective. In fact I like it - very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job with the onions. Very loose. Check out this artist.

    http://jzbukvic.com/studio.html

    He is my favorite watercolorist. We are lucky enough to have 3 of his pieces. He has done a couple of workshops in SA. Delightful and very personable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only today read your comment here Judy. Don't know how it slipped through.. What a generous painter to also share tips on the back of his work. Thanks for his link.

      Delete