'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Paddington


thetimes.co.uk

When I was just two, Michael Bond published the first of his delightful 'Paddington' books, so it wasn't surprising that they were part of my growing up years.
Sweet-natured and polite, but rather clumsy and with a marmalade habit (which I approved of, much preferring it to honey - the addiction of another of my childhood bears Pooh), Paddington Bear was, to me anyway, the stereotype of restrained British sensitivity, understated humour, and kindness, which I also met in Paul Gallico, Millie-Mollie-Mandy, The Famous Five, and Rupert (who of course, although looking like a bear, was really far more boy-like).

I think they've done a really rather topping job of the Paddington movie that came out last year 2014, but that I've only just seen.

I especially loved the cameo appearance of Michael Bond himself, tipping his glass to Paddington through a restaurant window.  If you see the movie (and I recommend you do, no matter how old you are), see if you can spot him.



8 comments:

  1. He looks such a nice old gent' too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even better shared with someone else, Terra!

      Delete
  3. I loved the movie. How lovely they gave the author a cameo.... I missed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a person of similar tastes Fi. I only picked it up in the credits, so had to rewind to see who they were referring to.

      Delete
  4. Marmalade or Manuka Honey? I think I will have to toss a coin - nah, Marmalade on one, Manuka honey on the other piece of toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Alden! The answer to any dilemna! 'Both'.

      Delete