'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 16 November 2009

... and a blue beetle in a beech tree


I'm growing a few New Zealand indigenous trees in my garden.  Today I spotted a couple of these pretty little beetles wandering around on the trunk of my Red Beech*.  I wonder what they are.  Anyone know?


This page in my Guide to European Creepy Crawlies is not much help, but is the closest.  My handsome blue beetle has big thighs (ha ha), iridescent blue elytra (wing-covers) with those bright yellow patches, and is about 10 mm long.

* Click here to identify the different New Zealand beeches.

Apparently this is a flower longhorn beetle, Zorion species.  Thank you Eila and Peter.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the beatles, such songs! such melodies, such and era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, wasn't that the beAtles Alden?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I said Beatles - but I got the 'an' wrong, should have been 'an era' not 'and era'.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.