'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 16 April 2011

'Quake Map



Paul Nicholls of the University of Canterbury's Digital Media Group has published a very interesting website that allows you to 'see' the quakes that have been occurring down in Christchurch, in New Zealand. I should mention that the size of the circle is indicative of the size of the quake only, and it doesn't show directly the size of the area that is affected, which can be a lot greater (if the quake was shallow) or hardly noticeable if very deep.

The colours show the depth of course.

The redder the circle, the closer to the surface, and the deep quakes are the greens and blues.

You can zoom in and move about using the magnification bar and arrows on the left, or use your scroll wheel and mouse.

As I've mentioned, I was in Christchurch on the 22nd February. My partner and I were staying in the suburb of Riccarton. Our motel was concrete block and completely undamaged, but the parked cars outside were rocking back and forth a couple of metres, and there was a lot of noise. My heart was certainly pounding.

I've been thinking about Christchurch folks again tonight because there was another significant jolt down there about tea time which put the lights out to a lot of the city. I hope power's restored by now.



(When you go to this site, the clock begins on the 22nd February, which was when a very bad aftershock occurred. But you can go back further, to the initial quake, if you wish. Click on FAQ to find out how.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.