'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 21 April 2011

Strawberry Guava



A few years ago my daughter encouraged me to plant a strawberry guava in the garden. She used to pass by a bush that overhung a suburban fence, and had fond memories of eating the little round fruits on her way home from school.
From year to year I forget about it. And I'm afraid this last year it has become rather overgrown. So when I went past the other day, I was humbled to see that despite its weedy home and neglect, it was again laden with fruit.
Every year this little bush puts forth its inconspicuous tasseled cream flowers and then follows masses of the fruits. They are sweet and soft, and delicious. And they make wonderful aromatic jelly!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.