'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 4 August 2010

Midsummer Day's Green


The poet's eye, in fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from
earth to heaven.
........... Theseus, from a Midsummer Night's Dream
........... (Act V, Scene 1) Shakespeare





Here is some delicious summer green I strolled past recently while 'walking' along a country lane on the outskirts of Sheffield. Only three cars passed me in three-quarters of an hour as I ambled along retracing my steps a few times to peer into the verges and pausing to sketch little scenes with my water-colours.
It is always astonishing to me to be able to do this, to see individual leaves and foxglove flowers, to gaze up into the canopy overhead, to notice a footpath leading off over fields (tantalisingly) yet never leave my chair here in New Zealand.

7 comments:

  1. Oh you can so easily confuse a guy!

    Puck: How now, spirit! whither wander you?

    Fairy: Over hill, over dale
    Through bush, through brier,
    Over park, over pale
    Through flood, through fire,
    I do wander everywhere.

    So good to wander and see the countryside. And without leaving your chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A hit, a very palpable hit."
    William Shakespeare, "Hamlet", Act 5 scene 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you using Google Streets or Google City or whatever it's called?

    I love that the lines from A Midsummer Night's Dream describe your computer's interaction with satellites and your own stroll near Sheffield so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine, I was so looking forward to your posting daily during August about green. What happened?

    Life probably intervened. I understand, and I fervently hope your change of plan is not related to anyone's illness, injury, or death.

    Or perhaps you have started another painting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything okay Katherine? It's just that you said you would post every day in August and I know that when you say you're going to do something you do it. So I'm a little anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello all: Robert and YP, sorry for causing you concern. I had plans to post a mention of my trip but ran out of time, and then had no opportunity to do so while away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Robert, it was 'street view'. I cropped out the logo and the cloned out the arrows. Wonderful quality, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.