'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 12 August 2010

Serious Firewood



A friend phoned me up.
"Phone this number" he said. "They are advertising in the paper, $200 for a load of firewood. It's good value, nice and clean and you won't have to chop it to fit in your wood-burner"

So I phoned the number and they came around with a truck that barely got in the gate, took off half the ribbonwood tree and dumped an absolutely humoungous load of joinery offcuts in the drive. My goodness, there's a lot of wood in a truck! We've almost filled up both porches and the chook-house is crammed to the roof. I must have made 1,000,000 trips with my green wheelbarrow. Anyone want some firewood? It's pick-your-own...

6 comments:

  1. I will attest to the quality and quantity of the wood. It's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Well, I'm glad you kept warm! And thanks for the drop o' Irish you left in the fridge. Mmmm, my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of wood and I'd be round quick as a flash to get some but a) it's a bit far from Napier b) I couldn't fit any in the car c) the air-con doesn't burn wood d) I'm a long long way away at the moment. OK. I was being silly. I won't be round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't really tell the wood type. NZ has some beautiful woods...one of your greatest treasures. Looks perfect to laminate and use on a wood lathe. Maybe you could share with a wood artist that makes wooden fruit or vases. Does appear that you may have gotten a bit suckered, but if you have a wood stove this stuff will be wonderful. Moving is easier than chopping for sure. Stacking is another problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just Pinus radiata Judy. NZ produces this in vast quantities. Very fast-growing and soft, and not really any good for turning or carving. But very warming to burn!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.