'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Serious Mountains



The last five days I've been down in the Deep South. We flew over the Southern Alps to Queenstown, one of the important ski resorts in New Zealand, and then drove the scenic route to Invercargill and back. On the way we saw some serious snow. And some serious suedes...



...from ground level, and from above. The weather on the flight back was so superb that our (commercial) pilot took the opportunity to fly us around Aoraki Mount Cook (New Zealand's highest mountain at 3764 metres, or 12345 feet), giving all us passengers a fabulous view of the glaciers and the mountain itself. The whole trip was really wonderful.


6 comments:

  1. I notice there was some GREEN in the scenic swede field. I guess that swedes are a food staple for most New Zealanders but over here in England we tend to feed them to farm animals. When we visit NZ I plan to take plenty of photos of swedes as long as those damned kiwis don't spoil my photographic compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking views- especially the last one - nth degree of "Cool!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, YP. Thanks for the green reference.
    jinksy - yes! it was fabulous. I hardly stopped smiling the whole trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fabulous. I love flying over the mountains. To have flown over Aoraki Mt Cooke must have been the pinacle of that opportunity in New Zealand. Yet again you manage to bring a streak of the fourth Commandment to my bosom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Geeb, it was the glacier that really excited me - I've always wanted to see one and hadn't quite managed to do it until now. But the mountains were ... heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first came to NZ I helihiked up the Franz Josef glacier. It was one of the most wonderful experiences I've had. In fact it's where the profile photo I use came from. I'd always remembered my son Gaz's description when he flew up a glacier in Alaska. Awesome doesn't begin to describe it.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.