'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 15 November 2010

Kon-Tiki and I

This post is an experiment to find out if I can share one of my favourite books with you.
Erik Hesselberg was one of the crew aboard the Kon-Tiki, and not many people know that he wrote and illustrated a book about the voyage. It was part of my growing-up years and I loved to pour over it, and later to read the words. I consider it a delightful visual feast.

Kon-Tiki and I, by Erik Hesselberg. 1950 ed.

6 comments:

  1. Slight problems with this one Katherine. I have mobile broadband and I suspect that this is a large file. One problem of this may be that every time I load your blog with this page on I load a very large file. I have a similar problem with large UTube picture files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story. Thank you for all your hard work. Only got to page thirty three so plenty more for my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have the copy of Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki that my parents gave me when I was nine or ten. Its dust cover is a bit worn and tattered now. But I have never read Erik Hesselberg's book.

    I want to remedy that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating! I'm up to page 35 so far. The drawings are exquisite and the narrative spellbinding.

    I must get a copy of this book for my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geeb. Hmmm. Will have to show you the original sometime.

    Adrian and Robert - I'm glad you are enjoying it! Adrian - it really wasn't hard work.
    Robert - I'm afraid you will have to look hard. Perhaps if we all ask, they will re-print it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben Bongers21.11.10

    Thank you very much Katherine, this is a very beautiful book. Communication with simple text and pictures that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
    Somehow I never read the works of Thor Heyerdahl. Maybe it is because I got hold of a copy of the Kontiki voyage as a small child an found it far too complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.