'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 19 January 2012

Grass Waves and Bitterns


It was a very rainy day the last time I went up to stay at Miranda on the Firth of Thames, so I left later in the afternoon, when the sky was starting to clear. There were some lovely cloud formations over the Waikato dairy farmlands:



... but from the road looking east over the stilt ponds, it appears there is still rain falling over the Coromandel Range:



Somewhere in this picture below there is a mother bittern and her two or three chicks.


Can you see them? No, nor could we. But I just caught the movement of something bittern-coloured, so I know they were there!



We stood there for some time but to no avail. The view up the coast towards Kaiaua (K-eye-ah-wah) was soft and gentle:



I was most fascinated by the light effects on the 'waves' in the grass.
(Clicking on the images will show them up much better.)



Oh, and they have a new hide at Miranda now. Much bigger than the old one, which you can see on the far left.


3 comments:

  1. Grass waves have always fascinated me to - the rush along so full of their own importance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda was (is!) magical and I love big skies. It is one of the beautiful things about living in New Zealand (and the Outer Hebrides). My favourite of your pictures, though, is the grass 'waves'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GB, J; The waves are wonderful aren't they!? They were actually 'frozen' static, Jinksy, which made them even more remarkable, almost uncanny.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.