'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 20 May 2010

Hawkes Bay



On one winter trip down to Hawkes Bay the electric blue skies and brilliant sunshine were a joy. Frosty mornings and a bit of mist in valleys just highlighted the later clarity.

On the way home I was pleased to see that the wetlands near the Napier Airport were being conserved. If I had visited Miranda before this I would have taken a lot more notice of the species.

Looking at these Kaweka Range hills below has confirmed to myself I have a lot more landscape paintings in me yet. My mouth is almost watering at the thought of interpreting them on canvas.
You can see the four layers (well, five counting the fence/shrub layer), each showing less detail, lower contrast in the colours, paler, and more blue than the last. That's aerial perspective in operation.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures!

    Adding you to my list of daily reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Oh. Oh. I want to be there (I want to be here too at the moment - Help!). I was chatting to Wendy and Martin today and the weather has been in the 20s. And friends from Napier have been staying here on Lewis for the last few days and they've just gone. Mind you we've had some great weather too even if the temperature only struggled into double figures.

    Your 'layering' is so appropriate. I hope we do see some more of your landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Love the water and birds pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GB- sorry, didn't mean to make you 'NZ-sick'...

    Jules - This blog format is quite small, click for the full effect...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of these photographs!

    You seem to like the second one better as a subject for a painting, but (knowing nothing about painting) I think I prefer looking at the first. It almost looks like an abstract painting already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to please you RWP. Only I have a question - did you miss one? 'Cos there're actually three.
    Which one did you think looks like an abstract?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Electric Blue - good description. The more I google around the world and look at other countries the more I appreciate just how unique our little neck of the WWWoods is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed, Alden, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.