'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 31 May 2010

Bunny Tails


No, not this type of bunny tail.
...nor this.
These types! Lagurus ovatus - the lovely, soft, tactile seaside plant that as children we used to collect and bring into the tent on our camping holidays. I spotted this patch near Kaiaua as I was doing research into the habitats of the Godwit, for my exhibition. I'm sure I can weave it into a painting somehow.


4 comments:

  1. The marvelous thing about this weed patch is that the kids could collect them and bring them into the tent. Here, such a patch would have to be avoided because of the deadly creatures lurking on the surface under these attractions. In fact, my NZ brother-in-law was hunting outside the coastal city of Ingleside near Corpus Christi when bit by what he thought was a rattler. He didn't think to kill the snake and the hospital didn't keep him. Said you'll know if you need to come back. He did.

    My sister, who had just met him at the bank was sent by the bank (their hunting invite) to visit him at the hospital since he was alone in this foreign land. He tells the story of waking up and seeing an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr. Yes Judy, in our little island paradise there are no nasties like that to have to consider. As kids we roamed everywhere, and barefoot too. It is a lovely thing to be able to take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you telling me that NZ doesn't have any snakes?

    Re the bunnies, I know one of the first type. Lady in our former church, middle-aged now, and sells real estate. But years ago she worked at the Playboy club in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right Robert. No snakes.

    I guess former Bunnies have to believe in something and make a living.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.