'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 8 March 2009

After the Rain...




I had a dream last night that the river came right up to the house and for some weird reason I had the fridge and freezer out on the verandah, and the piles were eroded away and the doors opened and all the food fell off the shelves into the flood.  You know how it is with dreams...  There's no way the river would ever flood that far, but I was still relieved to wake up.  

When I went for my walk this morning the rugby grounds were still flooded and the lake had attracted a gazillion arguing gulls.  The poor worms were huddled together in great knots to avoid drowning so I rescued a few, but there's plenty of them - tasty pickings for the birds -and lots of black grass grub beetles too, flailing ineffectually around in the water.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like it was quite the rain. How much did you get? Is it normal there to get so much rain this time of year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rugby posts look funny like that, as though they were for some strange aquatic game - water rugby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9.3.09

    How sweet of you to rescue the worms! We did the same with little stranded fish when the river burst its banks a few years ago.

    Pretty, but .. wrong. That's what those pictures are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly we get flooding like this twice or so a year - winter maximum rainfall. But occasionally in summer a tropical front will drift down from, er, the tropics, and we get a big dump that the soil just can't absorb quickly. The football field used to be swamp and being in a curve of the river, has been an ongoing drainage problem since it was created. Not being mad about ball games of any description, I wouldn't mind if it reverted back to swamp, as long as I could still have my daily walk along the stop-bank (levee)... In fact I think I would be much better!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.