'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Monday 2 March 2009

Camera-less



I feel naked.  I went down to Hawkes Bay over the weekend and drove back here to the Bay of Plenty, leaving my cameras (SLR and Point and Click) in my father's living-room.   They had been employed there taking photos of photos from the album he put together when he was fifteen.  The idea was to 'do' all the old photos and memories ... ha!  we got through one album in the weekend.  But it was great, and I know we are both very much looking forward to continuing the journey...
Anyway, back to the camera.  

I can't believe how attached I am to that thing.  And I must have seen 20 wonderful shots on the way home - the sky was bruised and dramatic with banks of towering cumuliform clouds, and the sunshine kept breaking through and highlighting a grove of trees or a barn, or the side of a hill...  

Never mind.  He's has kindly offered to post the point and click.

In the meantime here's a pic from the album.  Another 'beauty in unexpected places'.  The pretty pattern on the chest on one of 'my' thrushes.  Who incidentally visit very rarely now, and are very shy when they do, but are healthy and obviously thriving out there in the Wild World.


Coming soon:  My Big News  -  Why I Haven't Been Blogging So Much Lately.

9 comments:

  1. I love your beauty in unexpected places posts. And I look forward to learning the Big News.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thrush update. In the spectrum of human achievement what you did for Victoria and Alexander was of tiny importance but nonetheless very laudable. It is so nice to hear that they are finding their way in the wide world. Hope you warned them about cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2.3.09

    Oh, I would HATE to be without my camera! I hope you get it back soon - well, both of them.

    Lovely picture of your thrush. It's good to know they have grown shy, because it will keep them safer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. The plumage looks a lot like that of a cactus wren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photograph..I guess its time to cut the chord & let them leave the nest !
    I know how you feel about the camera, I cannot go anywhere without my micro cassette...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, sorry about your camera, i would feel the same way!
    very cute bird pic.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing photo. It's very touching to have a "nestling's eye view" of a bird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my condolences, i know the feeling.
    i SELDOM leave home without at least the compact strapped to my belt.

    and i betcha you noticed more potential shots than usual. right?

    sux truly. :-(

    hold on to the silver lining, and keep on bloggin'

    thank you for the post. :-)

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Dan. I think you already know my news (wink)

    Thanks YP - Yes, the thrushes are out there somewhere, becoming branch-wise and very sensibly staying away from people's houses and porches I hope.

    Yes, Jay. I was concerned that the thrushes would be too tame. I have the little camera back now. Thank you Dad and NZ Post!

    Thank you Juliet. I'll have to Google the cactus wren when I have a spare moment.

    Thanks David - cut the chord indeed! I can imagine your own attachment to the auditory equivalent to a camera! Your cute misspelling adds veracity!

    Lori - thanks!

    Emily, it feels like it was a privilege to know the thrushes.

    sUN, you are absolutely right, when I didn't have my camera on me, I saw dozens more! A bit like checking your watch many more times than normal when you've left it off your wrist!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.