'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 4 May 2012

Day 23. The Voyage.

Today was the big day.  I awoke early and I was so excited I could hardly wait until it was light enough to see.  After my usual morning meal, I set off in my dugout canoe over the calm inland waters around the bays and past the mangroves until I could see the neighbouring island in the distance in front of my craft.  


I paddled hard across the relatively short intervening strait.  About half way across I was passed by two large ships.  I later discovered these were the brand new (second-hand) Blogland Navy vessels, out searching for me.  My brown skin and strange hat probably meant they took me for one of the local fisher-folk.


Finally, weary and with aching arms, I made it to the beach.  Nearby was a rude hut.  Being rude, I could only assume it was the so-called private beach and accommodation of Sir Yorkshire Pudding esq.  Either that or it was the home of the old, naked hermit who sat nearby eating rice.


With generous gestures and a total lack of propriety, he invited me to share his humble repast, which I did with thanks and gusto, for it had been many hours since my early morning fruit and cooked pounded taro root.
After exchanging email addresses with my kind, albeit sartorially minimalistic, host, I set out on my dugout once more.

It was nearly two hours later when I rounded a stony headland that a most welcome sight
met my eyes ...
Yes indeed, I was very, very glad to see the smiling and familiar face of Sir Pudding and the distinctive fluttering pennant which announced, without a shadow of a doubt, that I had made it at long last ... to BLOGLAND!  Hurrah!


7 comments:

  1. You two definitely need a chaperone or, barring that, vows of chastity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both seem to losing all the trappings of civilization including your inhibitions. I think Shirley needs to get over to Blogland very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hasten to assure readers of this blog that I, at least, have cast-iron morals, and unswerving chaste loyalty to my partner back home in New Zealand. As you know, for the last 23 days all my energies have been directed towards survival, and now that I have reached the relatively civilised shores of Blogland, my energies will be almost entirely focussed on my up-coming solo exhibition. ART EXhibition, that is. Not IN-hibition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall make a special post about your arrival later today. In the meantime, I'll give you some time to settle in to your house. It's so good to see you again Katherine and I resent the coarse insinuations of Lascivious Brague and Bawdy Helen. We are not animals, we're human beings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly are not vegetables or minerals....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly are not vegetables or minerals....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Puds. What are you doing Wednesday? Shall I come over and we can have a pot-luck tea?

    Robert. Er... no indeed. You mean as in the three types of substance?

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.