'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 5 May 2012

Who I am and Where I Belong

For the last three weeks I've had a life-changing experience.  And yesterday and today has been a time in 'limbo' - of reflection, and deep thought.  I have walked along the tracks and paths of Blogland and enjoyed the comforts of sheets, soft bed, cooking utensils, water from taps, and the ministrations of my staff.  But these things seem almost surreal, almost superfluous.

I've changed, and my paradigms have shifted.

My thoughts are summed up in this wonderful clip that asks a big question of astrophysicist Neil deGrasse*:  What's the most astounding fact about the universe?

 

* No relation.

4 comments:

  1. "up and atom" - Radioactive man - I'd believe more of this theory if it weren't so heavily "coldpalyed" or whatever the schmaltzy piano thing is going on over it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so sure Neil deGrasse was right. I think the most amazing fact about the universe is that when you drop a slice of buttered toast it always lands face down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fox: I guess the presentation is rather dramatic. But to me the discovery is profound enough to handle it.
    YP. I have tested that theory. It doesn't always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot recall who said it but, paraphrased, one of the many scientists reaching out to the general public at the moment said that one of the things about quantum mechanics is that if you think you understand it then you don't. I feel a bit the same about this (which I have seen before as it happens).

    I wish that it had not been done so flamboyantly because I think that it gives people the opportunity to belittle the message. There was a debate on UK TV (ie the tv in the UK not NZ's TV UK channel) on Sunday in which the person introducing it made the statement that one reason they were having it was because surveys in the UK showed that 2/3 of younger people no longer believed in a religion.

    The short amount I was able to watch indicated one thing: closed against open minds. An important thing about being atheist is that one is open to scientific discussion. Religion requires faith. A famous scientist said recently that if all the evidence in the world showed him that there was no God and even if he could verify it for himself then it would not change his belief because he had faith. I think that was one of the most disheartening things I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.